The head of each of Princeton’s six residential colleges is a tenured faculty member with the rank of full professor who is responsible for creating an inclusive community that nurtures the intellectual, social and personal development of its members. The Heads of College reside in college houses, which allow them to host programs that build community by bringing together students, faculty and administrators.
Core responsibilities include:
- Provide vision, leadership and support for the intellectual and social programs sponsored by the college, including the faculty fellows program, the resident graduate student program, the residential college adviser program and the college council.
- Create and sustain an inclusive community for the undergraduate residents and affiliates of the college; be a consistent presence in the college during the academic year (from orientation through commencement), get to know students well and support their intellectual and personal development.
- Supervise and support a staff of five: the residential college dean; the director of studies; the director of student life; the college program administrator; and the college office coordinator.
- Steward college resources, including program budget and facilities.
- Support the advising work of the professional staff and affiliated faculty advisers.
- Work closely with the resident faculty member and college staff to encourage faculty engagement in college life.
- Attend regular meetings of the Council of College Heads (COCH), the policy group for the residential college program.
- Think strategically about how to strengthen and advance the goals of the residential colleges and serve on University committees as a representative of the residential college program.
- Represent, as necessary, the interests of the college in negotiations with campus partners, including the Office of Design and Construction, the Office of Advancement, Housing, Campus Dining, and more.
The Dean of the College is now accepting nominations and applications for the position of College Head. We expect to have at least one vacancy in each of the next three years. Please send expressions of interest to Jill Dolan (email@example.com), or submit an application before November 7, 2017.