The head of each of Princeton’s six residential colleges is a tenured faculty member with the rank of full professor who is responsible for creating an inclusive community that nurtures the intellectual, social and personal development of its members. The heads of college reside in college houses, which allow them to host programs that build community by bringing students, faculty and administrators together.
Core responsibilities include:
- Provide vision, leadership and support for the intellectual and social programs sponsored by the college, including the faculty fellows program, the resident graduate student program, the residential college adviser program and the college council.
- Create and sustain an inclusive community for the undergraduate residents and affiliates of the college; be a consistent presence in the college during the academic year (from orientation through commencement), getting to know students well and supporting their intellectual and personal development.
- Supervise and support a staff of five: the residential college dean; the director of studies; the director of student life; the college administrator; and the office support person.
- Stewardship of college resources, including program budget and facilities.
- Support the advising work of the professional staff and affiliated faculty advisers.
- Work closely with the resident faculty member and college staff to encourage faculty engagement in the life of the college.
- Attend regular meetings of the Council of College Heads, the policy council for the residential college program.
- Think strategically about how to strengthen and advance the goals of the residential colleges and serve on university committees as a representative of the residential college program.
- Represent, as necessary, the interests of the college in negotiations with campus partners: for example, the Office of Design and Construction, Office of Development, Housing, Campus Dining, etc.
The Dean of the College is now accepting nominations and applications for the Head of Rockefeller College and the Head of Wilson College. Please send expressions of interest to Jill Dolan (firstname.lastname@example.org), or submit an application before November 7, 2016.