Princeton offers a wide range of resources to support students throughout their undergraduate experience. 

Here, you will find guidance related to academic support, approved accommodations, mental health, and wellness. For immediate concerns about a student’s well-being or safety, please contact the Department of Public Safety (911 from any campus phone or 609-258-3333 from a cell phone) or the assistant dean of student life in the student’s residential college.

Academic Early Alert Reporting System

If an undergraduate student in your course receives a failing grade on their midterm or is otherwise experiencing difficulty, please use the Academic Early Alert system (login required) to submit an academic progress report to the student's residential college staff. A member of the advising staff will reach out to the student and offer appropriate support.

Accommodations for Disabilities

The Office of Disability Services (ODS) offers a range of services to ensure that students with disabilities have equal access to Princeton's academic and extracurricular opportunities. The office facilitates reasonable academic accommodations for qualified students who have submitted documentation verifying a disability. The ODS provides a sample course syllabus statement on their website; you will also find a modified version on the College Syllabi Resources.

If an undergraduate student has a chronic, ongoing condition or disability, ODS may approve academic accommodations. In these cases, faculty are notified and asked to work with their departments to implement the plan. Faculty should not, however, provide accommodations that haven’t been identified and approved by ODS. 

Please review this additional information about ODS accommodation policies and processes, along with FAQs for faculty.

Mental Health and Well-Being

Nationally and on Princeton’s campus, more and more students are seeking mental health treatment and counseling services or experiencing mental-health crises. Dean Dolan has offered additional guidance for how faculty should respond to a student in distress. Most importantly, we urge faculty not to act independently with a student who requests relief from academic requirements. 

To ensure equity and consistency, a faculty member should contact the student’s residential college dean if the student requests a change to course requirements because of a personal or mental health or medical issue. (As outlined above, students with chronic or ongoing conditions or disabilities may be approved for academic accommodations from the Office of Disability Services; ODS will notify faculty members directly about students with accommodations.)

The University offers an extensive array of confidential personal counseling and support services. Faculty may choose to include in their syllabus various ways that students can access mental health and other support resources on campus.